Search Film Reviews

Monday, June 8, 2015

FISHTAIL Available on Netflix

Ranch Hand Tylee Abbott herds the bulls over the ridge. 
Photographer: Joe Anderson.
ANDREW RENZI'S FISHTAIL NOW AVAILABLE ON NETFLIX
By Joshua Handler

Normally, I don't publish announcements like these, but the film I'm about to write about is one that I really love, and unfortunately it isn't well-known, so I felt it would be a good idea to bring it to your attention. At the 2014 Tribeca Film Festival, I reviewed Andrew Renzi's Fishtail. It's an hourlong documentary shot on 16mm film about the calving season on the Fishtail Basin Ranch in Montana and was one of the best discoveries at the festival. Renzi followed up Fishtail with his narrative feature debut, Franny, starring Richard Gere, Theo James, and Dakota Fanning. The film was warmly received at the 2015 Tribeca Film Festival (I really enjoyed it - Gere's performance is one of his best) and was bought by Samuel Goldwyn Films for a theatrical release.

Fishtail has played at many festivals and museums, but was never available to the general public until now where it can be viewed on Netflix Instant. I found Fishtail by pure chance last year. It was screened for press before the festival started and was screened as (I believe) the third of four films that day. The preceding films were terrible, so my interest in staying for another hour was close to zero. However, I'm thrilled to have stayed because Fishtail is a magical, breathtaking modern Western that I'm thrilled everyone can now see. Harry Dean Stanton provides haunting poetry readings that are played over the gorgeous images.

If you're interested, here's a trailer for the film:

No comments:

Post a Comment